NORMAN – Architect Ron Frantz has joined the Institute for Quality Communities at the University of Oklahoma College of Architecture as the Director of Small Town Studios. Frantz will also teach in the College’s Division of Architecture and received a Wick Carey professorship.

Architect Ron Frantz, AIA.

“Almost two years ago, I began meeting staff at the Institute for Quality Communities, followed quickly by meeting faculty within the College of Architecture. While I had worked with some of these folks through volunteer duties through the American Institute of Architects Central Oklahoma Chapter or the AIA Oklahoma organization, I met new people. Immediately, I was impressed with the team that Dean Charles Graham has put into place since his arrival in 2008. When offered the chance to become part of this dynamic group of design leaders, I realized I had found my next chapter of professional experience,” said Frantz.

The Institute for Quality Communities, founded in 2008, builds on OU’s success as an outstanding research university. The goal of the Institute is to build more vibrant, sustainable and equitable communities throughout Oklahoma and provide more research and educational opportunities for OU students. IQC Executive Director Blair Humphreys said he is thrilled with the experience Frantz brings to the Institute.

“I am delighted to have Ron leading the Institute for Quality Communities’ Small Town Studio. With Ron’s design experience and knowledge of Oklahoma communities, he is going to do incredible things in this role. I am excited to work with him and know the students are going to love having him as a professor.” Humphreys said.

Frantz grew up living in Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Louisiana. He received his Bachelor of Architecture and Master of Architecture at Tulane University in New Orleans. He has been a licensed architect in Oklahoma since 1986.

As an architect for the Oklahoma Main Street Program, Frantz consulted with property owners in 42 historic downtown areas and urban commercial districts throughout the state. He also worked as a faculty member at the National Trust’s National Main Street Center in Washington, D.C. He volunteers his time with many local and national organizations including Neighborhood Alliance of Oklahoma City and Preservation Oklahoma, Inc.

Frantz will provide design and planning experience by pairing faculty and students to projects in small towns across the state. He is excited to be part of President Boren’s commitment to growing communities in Oklahoma and creating more economic and educational opportunities.

“Dean Graham and President Boren are as committed to the Institute for Quality Communities as they are to the whole College of Architecture. There is an incredible enthusiasm among the students. It all just feels right at this time to come join this group of design professionals. I believe there is more than one number one team on campus,” Frantz said.